Saturday, March 30, 2013

COCONUT LEAF TOY ACCESSORIES

         When I was small, maybe 4 or 5 years old (I was leaving with my grandparents back then), during afternoons the girls in our neighborhood would gather together under the banana trees just across our home. There, they would make toy accessories out of banana leaves for pretend play. My cousin Freddie, my favorite cousin, would make me this kind of accessories so I could join the girls. Later on, I was able to make my own and I also discovered that this can be done using coconut leaves.
          I thought that this classic pastime could be a great summer activity bonding for me and my daughter since there are plenty of coconut trees in beaches. I'm glad she liked it. Let me give credit to my cousin who's already in heaven. Thanks, Manong Freddie! =)


 MATERIAL: Coconut Leaves (or a more scientific term is leaflet because coconut leaf is a compound type of leaf)


PROCEDURE:

FOR A BANGLE:
1. Separate the coconut leaf blade from its midrib.


2. Take a long and a very short portions of the leaf.


3. Wrap the small leaf around the long leaf just adjacent to the tip.


4. Fold the tip of the long leaf. Towards its ventral side. Let's call this a knot (it's not a knot though =D).


5. Insert the other tip of the long leaf in the knot.


7. Pull the tip to secure the knot. (Now, this is a real knot. =D)


8. Place the coconut leaf around the arm. (I'm making this bangle for my little girl). Again, insert the tip of the leaf in the knot to make a hoop.



9. Now, let's make a bangle's ribbon. Take the tip and insert it again in the knot (same side).




10. Once the tip is already pulled on the other side, insert it again in the knot. You should have formed a ribbon by now.


11. Lastly, take the tip and insert it on the other side to make a small hoop on top of the ribbon.




FOR A RING:
Just make a smaller version of the bangle. The same procedure could be used.

To make these ribbons on your ring just follow the procedure for making a bangle ribbon. This is done by inserting the tip of the leaf several times.




FOR  SPECTACLES:
1. Follow Procedure 1-5 of bangle and create a hoop.


2. Insert the tip on the other side of the knot to create the figure of an 8.


3. Lastly, get the leaf's midrib which will form the temple and earpiece of the spectacle. Decide on its length. 
To place it, just insert it on the side rim.




Caution: Coconut spectacles should not be worn when running or moving around. This is only good for picture taking purposes, lol =D (The midrib might poke your eyes).


My 3 y/o miss wants to make a bangle for me.

Ta-dah! Bangle by little miss.





No comments:

Post a Comment